Bamboo Modal fabric is made from the soft inner viscose core of the bamboo plants. Plants? Yes, that's why it's eco-friendly and unlike other materials, they don't use insecticides or herbicides so they don't contribute to local and water toxic pollution as a result!
It uses 15-20 times less water than cotton to cultivate, this bamboo modal has emerged as a strong alternative fabric.
Bamboo Modal is less toxic than synthetic fabrics. If clothes are treated with chemicals, our skin may absorb some of the chemicals used regardless if they have been washed several times! Body Ecology talks about the chemicals utilized in the productions of synthetic fabrics:
1. Polyester is the worst fabric you can buy. It is made from synthetic polymers that are made from esters of dihydric alcohol and terephthalic acid.
2. Acrylic fabrics are polyacrylonitriles and may cause cancer, according to the EPA.
3. Rayon is recycled wood pulp that must be treated with chemicals like caustic soda, ammonia, acetone and sulphuric acid to survive regular washing and wearing.
4. Acetate and Triacetate are made from wood fibers called cellulose and undergo extensive chemical processing to produce the finished product.
5. Nylon is made from petroleum and is often given a permanent chemical finish that can be harmful.
6. Anything static resistant, stain resistant, permanent press, wrinkle-free, stain proof or moth repellant. Many of the stain resistant and wrinkle-free fabrics are treated with perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs), like Teflon.
Bamboo Modal is more sustainable. When it comes to sustainability, Bamboo Modal is generally more sustainable than any other fabrics used for underwear. Since it is made out of Bamboo, it decomposes quickly. Because synthetic fibers are essentially plastic, they're not quickly biodegradable.
Bamboo Modal underwear is a great investment. Synthetic fabrics begin to break down much more quickly than Bamboo Modals, especially with frequent washing. Fabrics begin to pill. Bamboo Modal underwear may be a little more expensive than the other types, but it is a better investment in the long run!
Since I purchased my first pair of TBo briefs, I’ve replaced my entire underwardrobe with Bamboo Modal (all of it from TBo) – less of the body odour that can present with living life as a man (bleach anyone?).
I machine wash and hang dry: they retain their “as new” feel for a LOT longer than any other material.
I have a size 10 shoe…
Support is incredible.